I had some bakin/cookin therapy in the kitchen yesterday... it all started off with a bowl of cherries I needed to use up in the fridge, so I decided to make Cherry Cobbler using the recipe one of my best-friends momma gave me atleast 17 years ago... I still have the original paper, lol. Then I made a batch of bread. I decided to throw a bunch of tomatoes in my big pot for some sauce... but the smell made me realize I wanted garden fresh tomato soup, I made the soup (and processed 8 pints of the base to make soup this winter)... well ya know ya gotta have some kind of sandwich with soup (thank goodness I baked bread earlier) so I thought a panini would be perfect ... with oven roasted garden veggies, chicken & alittle mozzarella cheese. Dinner was really good!
Click on link to make your own...
I LOVE THIS SOUP!
Cobbler:
1 stick butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup self rising flour (I did use AP and added 2 tsp. of baking powder)
1 cup of milk
Fruit w/syrup (I used homemade cherry pie filling)
Heat oven to 350. Melt butter, pour in baking dish (I used a 9x13), mix sugar/flour/milk together then pour over butter, dump fruit over batter, pop in oven for about 30 minutes.
Tomato Soup
tomatoes
4 T. butter
3 T. flour
milk
seasoning
I washed, cored my tomatoes then throw in a stock pot (you can throw cherry tomatoes in whole) bring to boil, mash with potato masher... reduce heat to a simmer and let cook down. Then I poured my tomato sauce into another container til I was ready for it. Melt butter in your pot, whisk in the flour and slowly whisk in the milk to make a roux... then slowly add as much tomato sauce as you like and whatever seasoning your gonna use... salt, pepper, sugar, garlic, basil, parmesan all when in mine :)
Bread
Recipe H-E-R-E
What a timely post - the tomatoes are finally coming faster than we can eat them and I eat them three meals a day. I don't want to make salsa this year - so I am definitely trying this. Had no idea it was so easy.
ReplyDelete