Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Pear Jam & Honey...


Heres some things I've made with the pears I got from my sisters tree...

A chopped, cooked cinnamon pear is so good in your oatmeal

I just followed the pear jam recipe in the pectin box. Next time I'm gonna put the cut up pears through my food processor to get smaller chunks.

I got the pear honey recipe of BYC on the canning thread

Pear Honey

8 cups peeled, cored and chopped pears
1 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
8 cups white sugar

Place chopped pears into a large pot, and pour pineapple juice over them to prevent them from browning. Stir in sugar, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir frequently to prevent scorching. When the pears are at a full boil, reduce heat to medium, and cook until the mixture is the color and texture of honey. The longer you cook it, the thicker it gets. Cooking time is usually 2 to 3 hours. (Can do this in a large crock pot too...) Ladle into hot sterile jars, filling to within 1/4 inch of the top. Wipe rims with a clean damp cloth, and seal jars with lids and rings. Process in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes, or the amount of time recommended by your local extension for your area.

Yield- 4 pints ( I did half pints & got 8 with alittle extra for eatin right now)

* Had a friend bring me 4 bags of pears yesterday gonna work on makin some pearsauce & maybe pear jelly, might just freeze some too.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Jennifer, What are you using your pear honey for? My FIL is begging me to pick some of his pears but I don't really like them so I might just make the jam for Christmas gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That pear honey sounds amazing! Again, my favorite fruit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds yummy! im going to try it!
    Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for takin the time to visit and comment on my blog, I hope you stop by again.