Friday, December 3, 2010

HM Caramel Corn & Suet Blocks...

I ♥ caramel corn and was so happy when I saw one of my blogger friends post the recipe, you can find it here ... It's Time For Caramel Corn ... by The Goodwife , Thickin' and Thinnin' at Goodwifes Farm Its super easy to make and really yummy.








Caramel Corn
  • Popped popcorn
  • 2 sticks butter
  • 1/2 cup white syrup
  • 2 cups brown sugar
  • pinch of cream of tartar
  • 1tsp baking soda
Bring first 4 to boil, boil for 3 minutes. Add in 1 tsp baking soda. Stir (this will be very foamy)

Pour over 4 quarts popped corn (sometimes I use alittle more) and mix well. Pour out onto greased cookie sheet. Bake for 1 hr at 250* Stirring every 15 minutes. Pour out on counter, cook, then break up and store in airtight container.


******
After I made the caramel corn I moved on to making Suet Cakes for the wild birds... I've made my own for years now but wanted to try a recipe I seen on My Country Blog of This and That.

I didnt get to add as much pb as the recipe called for cause the teenagers LOVE it and we were almost out... Hey kids we are out of pb! I also added a handful of dried cranberries and the last of the raisins, birds got a special treat.


I'll put a block out in the mornin for them.

Ps... Both these recipes would make great Christmas gifts

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link girl! I'm so glad you liked the caramel corn. We just ate the last of ours yesterday. I've got cinnamon rolls in the works right now. I love Winter foods! LOL! Those suet cakes look great. I don't feed birds anymore because my cat figured out that if she sat at the foot of the bird feeder she could jump straight up and snag birds off the feeder! She was eating Cardinals and Jays and so I decided to quit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mornin Goodwife :)

    Your welcome. I had to divide the caramel corn up between the 6 of us... cause there are some people in our house that will it most of something and others will get every little, so I solved that problem. I still have my little bag... I put 2 1/2 cups in each bag, then Dh and I ate 1 cup each yesterday afternoon. I put 17 cups of popcorn in the recipe.

    I've been feedin birds since our daughter was in 4th or 5th grade, shes in 11th now. It would make me sad to stop. Our cats jump up at our feeders too here and there, sometimes they catch themselves alittle snack, I dont like that either but I know its nature. I just wish they would catch the stinkin house sparrows instead of the pretty birds... I've thought about puttin a bell on each cat to give the bird fair warning but havent because even though we feed our cats cat food they still stay outside and hunt for food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morning! That's a good idea parting it up like that.

    I feed our cat as well, once a day. She's a barn cat and a wonderful hunter. I always worried with a bell or a collar on her that she'd catch it and hang herself!

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for takin the time to visit and comment on my blog, I hope you stop by again.