Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Pizza Calzones

These are really good (we ate them for dinner last night). You can make them anyway you like... last night we were gettin down to the nitty gritty with dinners, I needed to go to the grocery store (did that today) anyways I only had pepperonis to put in them (surprised we had them with 4 teenagers in the house, lol).

I used this Quick Pizza Crust but you can use whatever recipe you like or frozen dough (thawed)

* I doubled this recipe to make 6 large calzones and 8 mini bread sticks or you could make 8 calzones.

Ingredients For Dough...
1 package of yeast
1 C warm water
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
2 T oil
2 1/2 C flour
2 T cornmeal (optional for sprinkling on cookie sheet)

Ingredients For Filling... (remember I doubled this for my family)
4oz. cream cheese, softened
4 oz. mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/4 c green onions
pizza sauce ( I made my own)
pepperonis (or whatever you want)
oil or butter
seasonings... garlic, thyme

Dissolve yeast in warm water and add sugar. Let yeast sit about 10 minutes (you want it good and foamy). Stir in remaining ingredients until blended. Beat vigorously 20 strokes. Allow dough to rest 5 minutes in a bowl with saran wrap or a towel over it.

Preheat oven to 425.

While the dough is restin. Combine cream cheese and mozzarella in a med. bowl. Stir with a fork until mixed. Add green onions, garlic and thyme; stir.

Roll out dough into 6-8 6 inch circles. Divide cream cheese mixture among circles, spread mixture, put pizza sauce on top of mixture, then add pepperoni (or whatever filling you want) fold over and seal edges. Brush with oil or melted butter, bake 15-20 mins.

***Directions if just makin a pizza... spread dough onto a lightly greased baking sheet sprinkled with corn meal (optional). Top with desired toppings and bake for 20 minutes . This makes 1 (14 inch) pizza.

4 comments:

  1. oh, great!! thanks for posting this, i let the kids make homemade mini pizzas last week and have a whole can of pizza sauce sitting the the fridge and i keep thinking i need to use that up! these sound awesome, can't wait to try them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Welcome :) I was also thinkin about makin this dough and doing hm pizza rolls with is, yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, you say 1 package of yeast, is that fast rising or active dry? or is there just a yeast? help...lol..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Billie... just a packet of regular yeast. I actually bought a 4 oz jar of Fleischmann's BreadMachine Yeast (for oven use too, I dont have a breadmachine) from WalMart, I just keep it in the fridge and when I need some for a recipe, measure it out and let it come to room temperature. If you have the fast rising, try it and see how it does :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for takin the time to visit and comment on my blog, I hope you stop by again.